makes 12 muffins
2 cups flour
2/3 cup sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 large egg
1 cup plus 2 tbsp milk
6 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
1 tsp vanilla extract
cinnamon-sugar topping ingredients:
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
1. preheat the oven to 375 degrees. butter the bottoms (only) of muffin tin.
2. in a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.
3. in a medium sized bowl, whisk the egg until it's froth. blend in the milk, melted butter, and vanilla. make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the liquid mixture.
4. using a wooden spoon, mix the batter just until it's even blended, then spoon it into the muffin cups, filling about two-thrids.
5. bake the muffins on the center rack for 15 minutes. then rotate the pan and bake for an additional 5 to 7 minutes. let cool for 5 minutes before removing muffins from the tin.
6. before the muffins loose their warmth, prepare the topping. mix the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. melt the butter and transfer in to a separate small bowl. set both bowls next to the muffins.
7. working one muffin at a time quickly dip the tops in the melted butter and then in the cinnamon sugar, rolling each muffin in all directions to cover the entire top.
(note: after my first batch came out a bit toasty, i found that my oven runs a bit hot, so i knocked down the temp to just shy of 375, and baked for 12 minutes, rotated pan and then baked for an additional 5 minutes.)